Warm and Hearty Curried Tofu Chili
The weather is getting chilly, and all I want to eat lately is warm, rich comfort foods. However, that doesn’t mean I want to feel heavy and bloated! I want to feel light, energized and ready to take on the holidays.
But can I have my hearty comfort meal and eat it too? I sure can.
This curried tofu chili recipe is brimming with warm spiciness, nutritious veggies, protein-packed tofu and beans, and just a hint of coconut milk for a creamy texture and a bit of sweetness to balance the heat.
Here’s to hibernating healthily!
- 1 package of firm tofu, diced
- 1 large yellow or red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 6-8 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans of organic diced tomatoes (or one diced and one crushed if you prefer a thicker chili)
- 1 can of black beans (or swap for your favourite bean!)
- ½ cup corn
- 1 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 can of coconut milk
Optional: Vegan Greek-style yogurt and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Sauté the bell peppers, mushrooms and tofu until slightly browned. Set aside.
- Place a large pan over medium heat and toast the curry powder and cayenne pepper for about 1 minute, or until aromatic.
- Add 1 Tbsp coconut oil, followed by onions and garlic.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes until the onions are softened and coloured.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, tofu-veggie mixture, beans and corn and simmer on medium-low heat for 2-3 hours.
- In the last ½ hour of cooking, add the coconut milk.
Serve up your warm, hearty curried tofu chilli topped with a dollop of vegan Greek-style yogurt and a sprinkling of fresh chopped cilantro.
The only thing better than this curried tofu chili recipe is making all your colleagues jealous by taking the leftovers to work the next day.
But I guess you could always bring in a little extra to share.
What’s your favourite healthy winter comfort food? Share your recipe with us below!