Morning Energizer Blueberry SmoothieBy Joy McCarthy
This is a meal in a cup! I always feel balanced and energized for the day when I start my morning off with this smoothie. When blueberries are not in season, I just swap for a different berry or use frozen berries.
Makes 1 or 2 smoothies
- 1 banana
- 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) spinach
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chia seed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey*
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) bee pollen*
- 1 cup (250 mL) almond milk or hemp milk
- Filtered water, just enough for desired consistency
Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth. Pour into a glass.
*If you have any allergies to bees, don’t add the bee pollen or honey. Replace the bee product with an equal amount of real maple syrup.
If you don’t have cooked quinoa on hand, add 1 scoop of your favourite plant-based protein powder.
From JOYOUS HEALTH: Eat and Live Well Without Dieting, by Joy McCarthy.
Photo credit: Nicholas Collister